Eddie Hearn calls for British judge Terry O'Connor to be sacked
The BBBofC should immediately remove him’: Eddie Hearn leads calls for British judge Terry O’Connor to be sacked after footage appears to show him on his PHONE during Lewis Ritson vs Miguel Vazquez bout
- Lewis Ritson beat Miguel Vazquez in a controversial points decision on Saturday
- British judge Terry O’Connor scored the contest 117-111 in favour of Lewis Ritson
- However, O’Connor was pictured scrolling on his phone during the eighth round
- Promoter Eddie Hearn has called for him to be sacked following the footage
Eddie Hearn has called for British judge Terry O’Connor to be sacked after footage appears to show him on his phone during Lewis Ritson and Miguel Vazquez’s bout on Saturday.
Ritson claimed a controversial split-decision points win over Vazquez, with O’Connor scoring the contest 117-111 in favour of the British fighter.
However, O’Connor – who has refereed almost 1500 bouts, was pictured scrolling on his phone during the eighth round when they two were exchanging blows.
Terry O’Connor was pictured on his phone during Lewis Ritson and Miguel Vazquez’s bout
Hearn took to Twitter to express his frustration, saying: ‘If that’s a phone (and I presume it is) then then BBBofC should immediately remove him.’
Fellow-promoter Lou DiBella added: ‘I guess you don’t have to watch the fight if you already made up your mind before it started. Unfortunately… it’s just boxing.’
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman also shared his thoughts on the situation, calling it ‘extremely troubling to any person involved in boxing.’
While Boxing trainer and manager Dave Coldwell took to Twitter to call out O’Connor, saying: ‘I’ve always said judges should be asked to explain how they come to their decision when it’s controversial & seemingly wide of the mark. Not sure swiping left counts as a good reason for screwing fighters careers over though?’
The British judge O’Connor scored the contest 117-111 in favour of Lewis Ritson on Saturday
Eddie Hearn took to Twitter to vent his frustration at O’Connor and the fight’s decision
Speaking to iFLTV, Hearn said the decision was a ‘disgrace’ and said that the judges must be ‘accountable for bad decisions’.
He said: ‘117-111 to Ritson was a disgrace of a card. And it’s terrible for the sport.
‘People have gotta be accountable for bad decisions. If you’re in a job and you don’t perform well, then you’ve gotta face the consequences.’
The BBBofC’s Robert Smith has declared that they will be launching an investigation into the performance of O’Connor and admits he is disappointed by the image.
He said: ‘This has to be looked at and investigated and it will be. I am so frustrated that this seems to have happened. After all the hard work we do behind the scenes we have something like this emerging. Personally, I am so disappointed. I can’t say anything more on it at this point.’
This is not the first-time O’Connor has been questioned, having previously been scrutinised for his decision to score the Callum Smith vs John Ryder in favour of the Liverpool man in November.
O’Connor, who turned to officiating after retiring from the sport himself, came under fire once again in 2017 for his scoring during Martin Murray’s triumph over Gabriel Rosado.
Promoter Mick Hennessey said that O’Connor had ‘buckled under pressure’ at the time.
Sportsmail has approached the BBBoC for comment.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article